Monday, October 13, 2008

Blame it on the State Fair of Texas





Got something new to add to my mile high list of need to's. More good and best foods to eat; what we need to drink; activities we need to do... Good stuff in and bad stuff out. I know, I know... I do get on my tower of righteousness and maybe I mighta' gon a little too far at times. Sure... I can do the salmon, the green tea, the ground flax seed... and even the exercising, though I admit befor' the Supreme One, and Country that I get off course... and... well... I can jus go hog wild at times. Like I been doin' for the last three weeks... There! I said it! But you gotta' understand... The Fair's in town. I mean... THE STATE FAIR...! ...OF TEXAS! And anybody who's from here knows what that means. Newspapers write about it, TV news and bemused shows talk and hawk it. No! Not Football! Although that's big too... Real big! Let's see... There's Grambling and PV. This yr they played the second week of the fair; and Texas - Oklahoma the third week. That's "Huge." We still need a game for that first week... Anybody? And then there's the food... no... not just food... there's a fried wonderland of delicacies... every day and night, and you jes gotta' try 'em. If you don't sample somethin' well-l-l... that's crazy... sad... unheard of... and un-american. So for now... diet, healthy eatin', prudence be darn. And so... even though I keep my ears tuned and open for whatever healthy info I can capture, and I feel guilty 'bout not exercising (walking, stretchin', palates, etc.) like I should and find every excuse not to do it. I know I need it, and that I need to eat right. So even though I'm not exactly on course right now I'll pass these tidbits on with the promise that I'll join you in the circle as soon as the fair's over. In the mean time... add these food to your diet: Beets: eat 'em raw. They fight inflamation. Swiss Chard - can help reduce the incidence of lung cancer. Ground flax Seed - reduces symptoms of menopause. Increases brain function. (Ooo... I know I need some 'a that) Cinnamon - helps with diabetes. Acai Berry - in paste. An antioxident. I'll be back on board soon... but fa' now I gotta' try this homemade cashew brittle. (Crunch!!!)

1 comment:

Tammy L. Hensel said...

LOL! I can relate!
Reading this brought back some good memories of my childhood. I haven't been to the Texas State Fair in years. Mostly I love to explore the exhibits. Even as a young child I enjoyed them more than the rides. There was one ride I really liked though. It was a Alice-In-Wonderland tea cup ride. I doubt they still have it. I always liked the bumper cars too. I stayed away from the roller coaster though. LOL Still don't ride them.
As for the food, my favorite was always "funnel cakes." Do they still have those?
Thanks for posting. Hope you will stop by my blog sometime.