Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Strangers No More

Seems like everyday I meet survivors. Today I was fortunate to meet a lovely woman, I'm horrible with names. She told me hers, but I forgot. I always blame my memory loss on the chemo. Still. Me and my husband were out at one of our favorite fish haunts. We drive clear cross town, and it's worth it. We always get one order and share it so we don't feel so guilty about stuffing ourselves. Man... it's so good! I could go everyday. Anyway, my hubby spotted her. She and her husband crossed the street just ahead of us and went in our favorite place. It took them awhile to decide on their choice, and we waited and shifted as they made up their minds before ordering. It was funny that I chose a table right by them. And I didn't even recognize my sister, though she was sitting there, right next to me, a shoulder away across a tiny aisle parallel in a booth. I glance over as I laughed and talked, but it was to see what they were having. He had gumbo and a rather large green salad, and she had a fish basket. Oh darn! Now you know it's a fish place. But I'm still not saying where. Not yet. Anyway, I woulda missed meeting this sister if it hadn't been for my husband. We had finished eating and he said, "there's somebody who went through what you did, and you need to say something to her." It didn't register at first. We had been gabbing away, like always, talking, rating the fish, deciding it was still good. That meant we'd be back again. Decisions on almost everything in our life now was based on visit by visit. If things went down, changed for the worse, and the place was just having a bad day, that could mean curtains for our patronage there. Anyway, he had to get me to focus on what he was telling me cause there was a lot of chatter. He sort of whispered that he spotted a survivor and I should say something to her. We had finished our meal and they had as well and had pushed their baskets and plates away and the busboy was clearing away their table. I turned and saw her in her scarf, and put it together. Duh...! I turned to her, leaned over and spoke. My husband did the same with her husband. I smiled, reached across the aisle and extended my hand and introduced myself. We talked for several minutes, and I tried not to overwhelm her with my experience or to ask too many questions. She said this was her second round, and she was fighting with the help from her spouse, doctors, some family, and medical staff, friends, and so many she's met. She admited she's a private person, and I could understand that. I might have talked too much, but felt I had to share all I could think of that worked for me. I wanted to tell her everything I knew and heard about; jaumba juice, apricot kernals, oxygenated water... Oh... man.. I forgot to mention that she should lower her acidic level, and make her body more akaline... I probably wouldn't have explained it right anyway... but I think I can if she contacts me. Hope I didn't overload her... Our talk lagged in a few places, but we both worked to keep it light and upbeat. That's what I wanted to do. Cause that's what I needed when I was doing chemo. I needed to laugh, laugh, and laugh some more. I gave her my card and told her to email me. I hope she will. If not I understand. But I'm glad we met and I hope I didn't overdo it. We hugged, perfect strangers no more, and I even gave her a peck on the cheek and told her I'd pray for her. And I will.

No comments: